I have been reading different versions of UPC’s President visit to Kasubi with reservation and i think this is the time to respond. It is not true that Buganda Youths attacked Dr. Otunu in the context the media reported. I know that it is their right and media freedom to report the way they want. But they forgot to highlight a few of the impaortant details prior to where they preferred to make their intros. I was there myself and was in charge of mobilising the media. this is what i witnessed.
1. While the Media quoted the arrival time perfectly, it failed to inform the readers that Dr. Otunu ‘s convoy of more than 10 vehicles was given access to the sacred place where they parked without any obstruction despite the fact that other vehicles had parking access only outside the gate at the east end.
2. On realising that Dr. Otunu was at the site, youth and guides mobilised themselves and sung the buganda anthem for him be4 they led tour around the ravaged shrine. It took us time listening to the Buganda youth expressing anger at the demise of their Shrine. They expressed sentiments that,
” we know them, those who have destroyed the kingdom”.
” We need change and Dr. You mentioned about opposition uniting to get rid of the common enemy, we are ready and we shall fight alongside you.”
“kabaka bamuwamba, Uganda bagiwamba you said it yesterday at NBS TV,” translated to mean: the king and Uganda is held hostage.
And many many things as i recorded them and my comrade took pictures.
Some were crying while others pipped to have a grimpse at the Deplomat.
It took us about 45 minutes to go through all this experience. All along Dr. O.O was just listening and wondering about the great loss and the expressions of the energetic and concerned kingdom youth. I will not quote their names. I also have their mobile phone numbers.
3. The media failed to report that what they call chasing away and Dr. Surviving by a whisker, he had no policemen nor guards as the case with others yet he managed to stay on the site for almost one hour without any disturbance.
4. At departure and after touring the shrine, the youth who were guiding the delegation around, requested that O.O says something. At this stage the crowd had grown big. They organised themselves once again and led the Buganda anthem the second time. Dr. Joined them and clapped. at this stage as some of you saw on Televisions, everything was going on smoothly. It was only at the last stanza of the anthem that a group of Four Youths started inciting the audience to demand that Dr. adresses them in Luganda. Henry Mayega, tried to calm them down and they complied. while i rashed to the parking vehicles to bring the megafone. On my return and as i pushed through the parked audience, i heard some men saying,
“He should not speak from here. Another one was giving orders that; “Go on; stop him from talking.”
“If they refused President Museveni to speak why should they allow UPC and even sing the anthem for him.”
They then started shouting while the audience chorused for order so that they could listen to what Dr. Otunu wanted to say.
I heard, a voice from the audience saying, ” mwagala kutulemesa naku bera namikwano, wama Dr. Yogera.” (that do you want to stop us from having friends, Dr. Go ahead and address us.”
5. The delegation then realised that it was useless to speak to the arguing audience and yet the Prime Minister, J.B Walusimbi was waiting for them, decided to withdraw and proceed to Bulange.
6. At this stage the group that was clearly stage managing the chaos moved forward and started shouting at the officials of the Party. Many Youths who recieved us confrontated them questioning their actions. They also urged Dr. to move out to avoid further chaos like what culminated into the killing of the Three kingdom youth the previous day.
7. I watched a youg man wearing a black jacket and a black cap, picking a stone and throwing it right into the rear wind screen of the Ambassador’s Land cruiser. It was horrible. Others about five of them made the noise and insulted the Ambassador. while the big audience looked on in disbelief.
8. The Media, even after witnessing all the developments published messages implying that Dr. wasn’t given a nice welcome. That he did not even stay on the site for a minute. That Buganda looks at UPC as their enemy. That Dr. Otunu was hurt and assaulted in the process. These are insults to the newly elected President of the Party and Buganda kingdom. Why should actions of a few individuals be quoted by the media as representative of the entire community? if that those actions represented the kingdom attitude how comes that the Prime Minister officially welcomed UPC? Even the following day UPC President was warmly welcomed at the Prayers conducted by the Bishop of Namirembe? I could see the former Katikiro, Dan Mulika, J.B Walusimbi and Jaberi Bidandi Ssali chatting at length before the service and after the service. I have pictures, several of them, from, Kasubi to Bulange and Namirembe.
9. After the visit Dr. proceeded to Bulanga where the Katikiro, J.B. Walusimbi was eagerly waiting to recieve UPC delegation. It was a great meeting ever between the two parties in a very long time. I could see the Amarula family led by Paddy Bitama and other Directors chat off with the famous Human rights activist and Deplomat. I heard Bitama telling Dr. Otunu to take over very soon and leave state house for him because he would be ready to take over by 2016.
10. Some journalsts moved with us but they never reported on the visit to Bulange and the welcome that was extended to the UPC delegation. Nothing was mentioned in the print media about the entertainment that we had at the Kingdom headquarter. ! Thanks to WBS, Records and NTV. they did a good job.
THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES
Comrade, Robert Kanusu