PRESS RELEASE ON NRM PARLIAMENTARY CAUCUS KYANKWANZI RESOLUTION AND WAYFORWARD.
18TH February 2014
The National Resistance Movement (NRM) was founded as a mass political organization and a Liberation Movement which waged a successful protracted people’s Liberation struggle that liberated Uganda from Fascist and Dictatorial Regimes and immediately after capturing state power, President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni promised a fundamental Change and promised to restore rule of law, peace, stability and the rights of the people of Uganda.
It’s true the NRM has been able to restore rule of law, justice, peace, security, stability and rights of the common people of Uganda. These are the core achievements that we as youth league of NRM we want to ensure AND that they don’t deteriorate into anarchy. In our view as youth Leaders, we all agree that the NRM was founded as a Liberation Movement and we shall at all times promote and defend the NRM and we shall not at any one time as youth of Uganda serve interests of Individuals in NRM-We are committed to our party values and we are ready to defend it against the detractors of democracy and good governance.
As you are all aware on 9th February 2014 during a Retreat of the NRM Parliamentary Caucus in Kyankwanzi, a motion was moved by the Hon Anite Evelyn youth MP Northern Uganda and it was seconded and endorsed by members of the caucus that H.E Yoweri Kaguta Museveni will be the sole Candidate for NRM Presidential Candidate 2016 AND on the following day on 10th February 2014 a One Impostor by the Name of Sewava Joseph Mukasa addressed a press conference and stated “That the NRM Youth League Support the Kyangwanzi Resolution”.
We want to take this opportunity as NRM Youth League Executive Committee on behalf of the NRM Youth League Structures from village to National level to reject the Kyankwanzi Illegal Resolution and to ask all NRM Youth and all NRM Party cadres to condemn the Kyankwanzi Position because;
· It was adopted by a wrong forum-The parliamentary caucus as no mandate under the NRM Constitution to adopt such sensitive Party issue;
· The act tantamount to practice of favoritism or nepotism by giving preferential treatment to any personal advantage as defined by Section 4 (1k) of the NRM Constitution and we demand for an explanation from the perpetrators, the sponsors, movers, seconders of the motion and all those who endorsed it and above all we hold our party Chairman accountable and responsible for presiding over such an illegal proceeding where the NRM Constitution was violated.
· The Proposal was not debated at all by the members of NRM caucus yet they had enough time to do so-We need an explanation why it was just passed without debate-This is really against our party constitution-How on earth can such resolution be adopted without debate-what was the agenda.
· The NRM Parliamentary Caucus is only a Legislative Caucus of NRM Party and is only allowed to debate on issues that will be tabled on the Floor of Parliament-That is there constitutional mandate.
· The act by the NRM caucus in Kyaknwanzi which was supported by our Party Chairman is a clear indication of the existence of Cliques in our Party and we now believe that our MPS and some party leaders violated the NRM Constitution Section 4 (1a) which prohibit members in engaging in the formation of cliques or factions OR engage in any intrigue within NRM.
· The Kyankwanzi Resolution Violated Rule 6 (A1) of the NRM code of Conduct which commit all party members and leaders at all levels to use persuasion rather than Command Language-the Caucus Resolution is a command imposed to the majority members of the NRM Party-This is un-acceptable.
· The Resolution also violated Rule 6 (A2) which Require all party members and Leaders to listen to other people’s opinion-Within the caucus no one was given an opportunity to raise a divergent view;
Because the NRM Parliamentary caucus has played a central role under the watch of our party Chairman to disunite NRM-It is within our constitutional mandate as the NRM Youth League to;
· Fight this kind of clique formation,disunity,Intrigue and propaganda detrimental to the interests of NRM and to defend its policies, aims and programmes at all times;
· We are committed to use peaceful means to isolate and work against powerful individuals who promote selfish interest and not adhering to the principle that the interests of NRM stand above everything else.
Fellow NRM Youth Leaders, cadres and the people of Uganda, we want to inform you that under the NRM Constitution Section 3 (e), It states as follows and please note this: The National Executive Council (NEC) shall recommend to the National Conference Persons competing for candidature to the positions of; National Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Secretary General, National Treasurer, Deputy Secretary General, and the Presidential Candidate- Basing on this constitutional provision ,the NRM Parliamentary Caucus violated the NRM Constitution.
The NRM Constitution was designed to bring about internal democracy and competition for leadership in all party positions.
It is upon this background that the NRM Youth League will not accept the sole Presidential candidate of H.E YK Museveni as the NRM Flag bearer-We want leaders in NRM to compete for the position of NRM National Chairman and all positions in NRM Party structures.
Because the NRM Parliamentary Caucus un-constitutionally endorsed General Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the NRM Youth League is not endorsing any person now but at this important point in time, we take this opportunity as NRM Youth League to NOMINATE THE RT HON JOHN PATRICK AMAMA MBABAZI for NRM National Party Chairman 2016-2021 and FOR NRM Presidential Candidate Flag Bearer for the 2016 Presidential Elections AND we are humbled to urge the Rt Hon Amama Mbabazi to accept the NRM Member’s request to contest for the forthcoming Presidential Elections as NRM Flag Bearer.
As Per the NRM Constitution, so far it is only Rt Hon Amama Mbabazi who has been nominated and as the NRM Youth League we shall OFFICIALLY bring this to the attention of the National Executive COUNCIL (NEC) for recommendation to the National Conference as per the provision of the NRM Constitution.
It is now our humble request to all the members of the National Resistance Movement who believe in promoting and safe-guarding the Vision of the National Resistance Movement to begin mobilization at your level, branch, cell, etc to ensure that The Rt Hon Amama Mbabazi take on the Leadership of the National Resistance Movement and as the NRM Presidential Flag-Bearer 2016.
I thank you,
For God and My Country,
Signed on Behalf of the NRM National Youth League by,
NRM YOUTH LEAGUE IN CHARGE OF NORTHERN UGANDA AND MEMBER OF NEC
LUZINDANA ADAM BUYINZA
CHAIRAM,NRM YOUTH LEAGUE (KAMPALA REGIO) AND NEC MEMBER
NRM YOUTH LEAGUE CENTRAL REGION AND NEC MEMBER
NRM YOUTH LEAGUE-EASTERN REGION AND NEC MEMBER