A police state : Is a state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic, and political life of the people, especially by means of both brutal presence of police and a secret police force.
The proposal by the NRM to have the data collected by the security for national identiy card to be used as voters register by the Electoral commission effectively means, Uganda is no doubt a police state .
The aim of police violence we see daily on the media is meant for oppression of the citizens,3 in 10 Ugandans are victims of police brutality, over time police brutality has become instruments of repression built up systematically and consciously by the dicatatorship for use against strikes, protests, demonstrations and other forms of social and political opposition to the dictates of governace.
To some persons who cannot see what’s happening to Uganda at the present time, it seems ridiculous to say that the Uganda is a police state,but with these deliberate criminal acts by the security is unquestionably signs of a modern police state!Uganda has indeed reached a crossroads. History may show that from this point forward, we will have left behind any semblance of constitutional government and entered into a militaristic state where all citizens are suspects and security trumps freedom. Certainly, this is a time when the regime operate off their own inscrutable, self-serving playbook with little in the way of checks and balances.
Ugandans must now wake up to the fact that this nation is now unquestionably a police state!
The Criminal Police State can now:
Avoid punishment for murder
Lay Seige in the city every time opposition wants to address a particular issue
Use the Police refer to any person with presidential interest as a terrorist
Spy on all citizens
Spy on and intimidate citizens
Brand anyone a terrorist
Ignore Human Rights entirely
Illegally imprison Ugandan citizens
Loot taxpayer money for fat-cats
In a free society:
Police agencies respond only to evidence of planned and actual criminal activity.
Police officers keep the peace; they do not investigate citizens and activities unless there is some reason to investigate.
Police do not investigate citizens’ attitudes toward the central government, only their action.
Citizen dissent is lawful and police agencies do not investigate citizens’ attitudes toward the criminal justice apparatus.
Here are 10 indicators that Uganda is a police state.
1. Your leader has been president for several decades
2. Political activist are arrested and imprisoned after staging a political protest.
3. Your most famous activists are kidnapped.
4. When your leader is grooming his son to take over power from him.
5. When there is emerging class of overnight tycoons with unexplained source of wealth.
6. When all FM stations are owned by regime supporters and every negative news content attracts the attention of the state.
7. The state begins to legislate over laws to limit Internet access.State intends to run social media services .
8. When couples begin not to trust each other .
9. When the country consistently appears on the reports of human rights agency organisation for obviously doing the negatives.
10. When the state is very eager to push legislation that are draconian.
Its clear in black and white that first rule of the regime is to look out for itself, it is no longer the servant it has become the master. The president can stand boldly and say my army,my money,my oil etc
Moses Atocon Atyekwo