BY GEORGE OKELLO
1. BLB is a legal entity that acts as an administrative arm of the Buganda kingdom, which I believe, is a legal entity recognised by the Ugandan Constitution. It is the equivalent of a department or section in a private Company.
2. BLB is agent of Buganda Kingdom and its powers and privileges are limited to the extent that the rights and privileges of the Buganda Kingdom are described in the Uganda Constitution.
3. BLB has no jurisdiction over land in Uganda or any other matter over land outside of those lands designated as property of the Buganda Kingdom.
4. BLB has no locus standing over national land issues, except only to the extent to which it is permitted to do so either by delegated legislation or where it is in conformity with its duties and responsibilities as the agent of the Buganda Kingdom.
5. BLB can sue or be sued in its capacity as agent of the Buganda Kingdom.
6. BLB is mandated to obey national laws regarding ownership, transfer and regulation of land. It must not breach any rights, obligations or privileges granted to it by Stautory land Laws.
7. BLB is subject to both the civil and criminal jurisdiction of the laws of Uganda.
1. The BLB is likely to get into dispute with several lease-holders in the years to come. This partcularly applies to people who obtained leases in the period 1967-1995 when Museveni’s Land Act was passed, the effect of which was to reverse President Obote’s nationalisation of properties previously belonging to Kingdoms and Colonial Chiefs under Colonial arrangements contained in the Buganda Kingdom of 1900, and the Uganda Independence Settlement of 1962.
2. The BLB is likely to get into legal disputes to people who acquired leases, rights or entitlements to Buganda Lands which were sequestrated under Mr Idi Amin’s Land reform Decree of 1975.
5. Of specific interest or concern will be the compensation to be awarded to people who acquired lease, licenses and entitlements in good faith in the period 1967-1999 and who have subsequently made developments on the land worth several millions of dollars in today’s money.