By Rahimu Jabendo via the UAH forum
Egypt is an intensively sophisticated society right from the times of Joseph till now, but aside the little details like the fact that they bury their Pharaohs who then become mummies, what else do you know about this country that is believed to be the richest country ever? Let us run through a few.
1) Egypt presently occupies a land mass of 1million square kilometers making it one of the largest countries in the world. And with a population of over 88million, it is a very dense country. The primary language is Arabic. And their cultural rulers are called Pharaohs.
2) In ancient times, the Egyptians built elaborate structures called pyramids just to serve as tombs for their Pharaohs! And it wasn’t the Israelites that built all of them, the Egyptians used to hire labourers to build the pyramids.
3) It is believed that each pyramid in Egypt houses one Pharaoh and his entire family members and concubines. Therefore when you are in an Egyptian pyramid, watch out for a few ghosts.
4) The Egyptians were the first to believe in the afterlife. Long before Jesus Christ brought the message of redemption, the Egyptians always believed that preserving a dead person’s body through the process of mummification, their soul would live in peace in the world to come. It is still not clear if the mummies used to come back to life though.
5) The ancient Egyptians believed in more than 2000 gods! In fact some Egyptian priests used to spend two years attempting to pray to all the gods and still it was too much. The study of the Egyptian gods too is even more fascinating than that of Greece and Rome.
6) Cats are actually considered sacred animals in Egypt. Every house has a pet cat which brings goodluck and chases away evil spirit, just like the cat from The Mummy.
7) Tue ancient Egyptians invented paper, pens, locks and keys and most important of all, they invented toothpaste!! So when next you brush your teeth in the morning thank the Egyptians for discovering a tool that fights mouth odour. The pens invented were used to write down the ancient Egyptian alphabets which had over 700 characters.
8) The Egyptians also invented the 365 days a year calendar divided into 12 months. This was invented to predict the annual flooding of the Nile. The Egyptians also wrote the first ever book about mathematics in 1650 BC.
9) Equality began in Egypt. In ancient Egypt, women had as much rights as male with some females having even more rights than the males. Women could assume several offices such as the office of Pharaoh!!! So if you are a feminist, Egypt is for you.
10) In ancient Egypt, beer was used to pay labourers,if you go to Egypt and want a job make sure you inform the owner that you wouldn’t want to be paid with beer.